3395 Topics
9588 Posts

Max Online: 395 @ 08/22/16 12:18 PM
Topic Options
#9697 - 06/04/14 08:59 AM Choctawhatchee River - FL Panhandle
fishwalton Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: De Funiak Springs, FL
The bream bite on the Choctawhatchee River has been red hot for the past 3 or 4 weeks. Have seen some of the largest blue gills ever coming in in the past few weeks. Full pounders plus are not uncommon. We have had many months of flooded river which is always excellent for spring and summer fishing. The fish move into the swamps, multiply, and get fat. The river is actually a little high right now but the fish have moved back into accessible lakes and are hungry.

#10095 - 05/18/15 05:19 PM Re: Choctawhatchee River - FL Panhandle [Re: fishwalton]
fishwalton Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: De Funiak Springs, FL
Update on the Choctawhatchee River:
A year has passed since my last post about the Choctawhatchee River in the Panhandle. The bream/shellcracker bite so far this spring up until the present has not been anything near what it was this time last year. However, actually it has been a decent bite with some huge blue gills and shellcrackers going into the box.
I fish the river 3 or 4 days a week and catch all the fish I need to keep and release the others. I'm not much of a bass fisherman but do enjoy fishing bass with a good friend who fishes nothing else. The bass bite has been good for several weeks and from what I can tell the tournament folks are happy.
Here are a few photos of a decent bream catch last week. We brough 36 keepers home and thie photos are of the largest.

#10124 - 05/22/15 03:05 PM Re: Choctawhatchee River - FL Panhandle [Re: fishwalton]
draggin yak Offline
Green Horn

Nice... That gill in the second picture looks huge.

2007-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide