06/06/18 01:15 PM
    06/06/18 01:15 PM
    H
    Hi Y'all Offline OP
    Green Horn
    Hi Y'all  Offline OP
    Green Horn
    H

Hi, sorry that this post is a little long!

I'd like some advice about rod and reel equipment for Mike, my partner, and myself. We're newbies to Florida fishing.

A little backstory; My name is Nikki and I've lived in coastal communities all my life, so I've been out on the water quite a bit. When Mike moved down from St. Louis 4 years ago he had never been out on the ocean.

Mike is a master machinist and natural sportsman. He found life in Florida a little dull...until I thought of taking him deep sea fishing on the Flamingo. He was 'hooked' immediately! I loved it also. I'd never fished here myself.

Now we want some equipment! Luckily, Mike's best friend here is a dedicated fisherman and we have lots of opportunities to go out on his boat and learn from him.

Let me break our needs down:

Mike is 6'5", a solid 300 pounds, a machinist, and a natural at learning any sort of equipment or sport. He wants the best equipment possible (that we can afford). He's researched equip every evening since our trip.

I'm 5'6", 106 pounds, and recovering from an illness. Weird couple, huh? Well, it works for us. Fact is that I couldn't reel a big fish in without help. I want a simple kit that's strong enough so Mike can reel it in if he's not busy. It should be relatively inexpensive, and suitable for a teenage sized person.. P.S. the teenage comment, we're both 50 years old. I'm just small.

So what are the best rods and reels given our needs? Mike is liking the Ugly Stick because he remembers it from cat-fishing and hears that there is a good model for ocean fishing. Mike needs the better equip until I become stronger and more adept, which might take a minute.

For myself, I want something simple that works really well for the price and I'd like to buy the rod and reel together. I don't mind having the line added and I can add sinkers, make lures and bait hooks.

Please advise, and thanks!
    Nikki

Re: Please help a pair of newbies with some basics! [Re: Hi Y'all] #11248
    06/09/18 10:05 AM
    06/09/18 10:05 AM
    F
    FFF Staff Online content
    Pro Angler
    FFF Staff  Online Content
    Pro Angler
    F

You can't go wrong with an Ugly Stick Tiger Elite - http://www.uglystik.com/uglystik-ro...-elite-spinning-rod/1415330.html#start=1

The link is to the spinning rod. They offer the same rod in casting. I own many rods that are $300 and up. The $80 Tiger Elites are always on my boat. I use the 7' heavy and the 6' 9" medium depending what we are targeting.

As for spinning reels, I really like the Penn Conflict - http://www.pennfishing.com/penn-ree...nflict-ii-spinning/1447406.html#start=2. You can find cheaper, but not necessarliy one that will hold up to the harsh saltwater conditions.

Previous Thread
    Index
    Next Thread

© 2007-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide