New To Saltwater Fishing #1332 07/02/08 02:41 PM
    A
    ajsavelle Offline OP
    Green Horn
    OP Offline
    Green Horn
    A
    Hi Everyone...

I have been fishing freshwater all of my life but never really fished saltwater except a couple of times a buddy and I fished for saltwater cat for the sport of it. For the past couple of years I have been wanting to learn more and more about saltwater fishing but have no idea where to start. All of my friends are freshwater fishermen.

I sold my boat a year ago and hated doing so ever after! I am now in the market for another but but in the mean time I will get to the subject at hand.

I live in Dothan Alabama. Thats about a 100 files from Panama City and Destin. This Thanksgiving we will be spending the holiday in Destin and I would really like to get in some fishing while there. I would also like to get down ot P.C. within the next couple of months if time permits. Now for the question... and before I ask it, I know how broad this can be BUT... here goes.

Not having a boat yet, could you guys get me started out on some locations in the P.C. and Destin are to start fishing from the bank (freshwater terminology :-) ). Locations like the piers, beach areas etc. Also, how to go about it. As I stated, the type of fishing (right now) is unimportant to me as I am just getting started at saltwater. Please do not assume anything in your advice... anyones advice can't be to simple. I just apreciate anyones help in getting started out.

As I said, I have been bass fishing many years but saltwater is complete new animal to me. The only think I am certain of is that many saltwater fish vs. freshwater fish have TEETH!! LOL

The tackle that I have is anywhere from ultra light to bass fishing gear (flipping sticks etc.) I do have some HEAVY reals and Rods for catfishing. All lures etc. are for bass and panfish. So in saying that, anyone giving advice on lure selection, please give a good description such as name of lure manufacture etc. That way I can research what I should be looking for on Bass Pro Shops site.

Again... I will be in Destin during Thanksgiving so if anyone can, please give advice on this time of the season as well.

Thanks in advance for everyones help. I really apreciate it!!

Re: New To Saltwater Fishing [Re: ajsavelle] #1358 07/21/08 03:23 AM
    P
    palmetto fisher Offline
    Green Horn
    Green Horn
    P
    A good lure for that area is the Zara Spook or Zara Puppy. It is a topwater lue.
    PS: look up walking the dog

Re: New To Saltwater Fishing [Re: ajsavelle] #1362 07/21/08 04:31 PM
    B
    bassman2 Offline
    Outdoorsman
    Outdoorsman
    B
    i am a die hard bass fisher,but am lucky enough to live near the coast so i do both.most of your bass tackle can be used for inshore salt water.i use my flipping sticks for most things,snook,reds,etc.if your after trout,a light spinning outfit is all u need.i use braided line w/florocarbon leader(20lb)usually,or larger if around rocks,docks or other structure.soft jerk baits like zoom flukes catch anything that swims in sw.rig on a 1/8 or 1/4 jigheads or texas rig as u would bassin.look for a mirr-o-lure mirrodine hard bait.it looks like a sardine and catches anything that swims inshore.also gold spoons are killer for reds.X-periment w/ your bass lures.youll be suprised

Re: New To Saltwater Fishing [Re: bassman2] #1384 08/01/08 07:02 PM
    D
    Dana Offline
    Green Horn
    Green Horn
    D
    Hi friend I felt your topic very interesting. You told that you had done saltwater fishing a couple of times with your buddy. why don't take help from that person to learn saltwater fishing? It is just a suggestion and hope you will think of it.

---------------------------------------------------
    Party poker review , tournaments, promotions, bonus

Re: New To Saltwater Fishing [Re: Dana] #1412 08/29/08 05:59 PM
    E
    emptynet1 Offline
    Green Horn
    Green Horn
    E
    I'm in the same boat. The fun is in learning, and that never stops. Have some fun.

Re: New To Saltwater Fishing [Re: emptynet1] #1467 09/13/08 10:33 AM
    R
    Redfish Riviera Offline
    Outdoorsman
    Outdoorsman
    R
    Redfish Riviera reccommends trying out Redfishing very similar to Bass fishing-redfishing has spawned into a sportsman's must do. Let us know if you need assistance with redfishing. Inshore would definently be the first place to start, for offshore you will need different tackle, rods, etc.

Redfish Riviera CEO

Redfish Riviera spans the coastal shores from Texas to North Carolina. http://www.redfishriviera.com offers tournament information, redfishing news and weather, guestbook for your favorite redfishing pic and world class apparel for men, women and children created by Redfishermen for Redfishermen.
    Previous Thread
    Index
    Next Thread

© 2007-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide