Scientists at the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory are studying whale sharks in the northern Gulf of Mexico. If you encounter a whale, please participate in the ONLINE WHALE SHARK SIGHTINGS SURVEY. You can help us learn more about the occurrence and distribution of whale sharks in the region.
To Report a Sighting:
Please complete the survey at http://www.usm.edu/gcrl/whaleshark
Information that is helpful to us includes:
• Time and duration of encounter
• Location (GPS coordinates)
• Approximate size and number of sharks
• Observed behavior
• Associated species
• Photos/video (especially of the region behind the gill slits on the left side of the animal—this is used for identification)
• Any other distinguishing features (i.e. numbered marker tags located behind the dorsal fin—please notate number)
Your participation is vital to us gaining a better understanding of their movements and habitat use patterns in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Thank you.