Print Thread
    Anyone using Gulp Alive !Shrimp or Crabs? #918 01/31/08 03:41 PM
    M
    Mike Offline OP
    Outdoorsman
    OP Offline
    Outdoorsman
    M
    Looking to see if anyone has been using the Gulp - Alive! product in the Gulf. What species are you targeting and how is it working if so. Considering using the Shrimp and Crabs for some fishing if it's worth it.

Thanks!

Mike

Re: Anyone using Gulp Alive !Shrimp or Crabs? [Re: Mike] #923 02/04/08 10:24 AM
    C
    Chris Joles Offline
    Green Horn
    Green Horn
    C
    I do not fish the west coast much, but I use the Gulp alive on the east coast. I fish from Sebastain to Staurt on the Indian River for Redfish,Snook,& Trout. All 3 species seem to love them. I really like to dead stick them in potholes on the flats or under docks and mangroves on high tide. I'll also buy the Gulps in a bag and put them in the Alive bucket for more color selection.

Chris
    Re: Anyone using Gulp Alive !Shrimp or Crabs? [Re: Chris Joles] #949 02/09/08 12:30 PM
    Capt Scott Keith Offline
    Green Horn
    Green Horn
    I've used the Gulp Shrimp in natural color both in the Tampa Bay area and Naples. It was very effective while fishing for snook on the beach last summer. We've had success on the flats with trout and redfish here and there. I think it's a pretty good bait overall.

Capt. Scott Keith
    Tampa Bay Inshore Charters
    www.tampabayinshore.com
    scott@tampabayinshore.com
    813-760-6735
    Re: Anyone using Gulp Alive !Shrimp or Crabs? [Re: Mike] #961 02/14/08 11:05 AM
    C
    canada boy Offline
    Outdoorsman
    Outdoorsman
    C
    Never been to the west coast but have not had the greatest of luck with the gulp products and in talking and fishing with friends none of us have had any luck I know that this will not help you much but you asked the question i'm just simply trying to answer

Re: Anyone using Gulp Alive !Shrimp or Crabs? [Re: canada boy] #964 02/14/08 12:19 PM
    F
    FFF Staff Online Content
    Pro Angler
    Online Content
    Pro Angler
    F
    I've used both the Gulp Shrimp and Peeler Crab with success. I've fished them both on jigs, but I'm sure there are other ways to rig them.

Re: Anyone using Gulp Alive !Shrimp or Crabs? [Re: FFF Staff] #965 02/14/08 12:32 PM
    M
    Mike Offline OP
    Outdoorsman
    OP Offline
    Outdoorsman
    M
    J.P. Thanks. the jigs you are using, colored heads or plain lead and what size hooks?

Thanks!

Mike

Re: Anyone using Gulp Alive !Shrimp or Crabs? [Re: Mike] #967 02/14/08 02:20 PM
    F
    FFF Staff Online Content
    Pro Angler
    Online Content
    Pro Angler
    F
    I usually just use lead heads. Norton makes a nice head, but I prefer Stanley if I can find them. The jig heads I use are by weight, not hook size. I pair the weight to the current or action I want from the bait. Most of the jigs I use are 1/16th to 1/2 ounce.

The shrimp will match about any jig head. You may need to pull a crab out and match it with a jig while you are in the tackle store.

Re: Anyone using Gulp Alive !Shrimp or Crabs? [Re: FFF Staff] #968 02/14/08 02:27 PM
    F
    FFF Staff Online Content
    Pro Angler
    Online Content
    Pro Angler
    F
    I forgot to mention, but just remembered something else that has worked in the past. Try Carolina rigging as well.

There are a lot of bass fishing techniques that are killer for reds, specs, snook and other inshore species. A Senko type bait rigged wacky style can be killer on inshore species.

Re: Anyone using Gulp Alive !Shrimp or Crabs? [Re: FFF Staff] #977 02/17/08 04:34 PM
    M
    Mike Offline OP
    Outdoorsman
    OP Offline
    Outdoorsman
    M
    Thanks J.P. Saw mention of you in this month's magazine.

Re: Anyone using Gulp Alive !Shrimp or Crabs? [Re: Mike] #1006 02/24/08 12:35 PM
    S
    SteveOnLBI-NJ Offline
    Outdoorsman
    Outdoorsman
    S
    On the wacky style rigging...I just saw a demo of how lifelike a rubber shad or Finesse fish looked when wacky-rigged thru the head. By having the line tight with a sinker below and the hook tied tight into the line, every little movement of the line (think: normal boat motion or very light jigging) made the lure "swim" in a very lifelike manner.

I plan to try this for weakfish up here in NJ this spring, maybe even tie in a 2nd wacky hook a few feet above the first to hit another zone. Not sure which of the Gulps will have the right action in this set up, but plan to experiment. Also hope to try it bridge-fishing in the Keys in a month or so. Will post any interesting results.

Steve On LBI-NJ
    Re: Anyone using Gulp Alive !Shrimp or Crabs? [Re: SteveOnLBI-NJ] #1011 02/26/08 07:30 AM
    G
    glalston Offline
    Outdoorsman
    Outdoorsman
    G
    Have not had the best of luck with the shrimp,crab has gotten me some black drum.

"I give so much pleasure to so many people. Why can I not get some pleasure for myself?"
    John Belushi
    Previous Thread
    Index
    Next Thread

© 2007-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide