Print Thread
    J.P. in Saltwater Sportsman magazine? #954 02/12/08 01:44 PM
    S
    SteveOnLBI-NJ Offline OP
    Outdoorsman
    OP Offline
    Outdoorsman
    S
    Just read the current issue of SWS. Author of a story about fishing Galveston Bay for redfish mentioned the author's fishing buddy, JP Greeson. Is there another, or have you been travelling?

Steve On LBI-NJ
    Re: J.P. in Saltwater Sportsman magazine? [Re: SteveOnLBI-NJ] #955 02/12/08 04:16 PM
    F
    FFF Staff Online Content
    Pro Angler
    Online Content
    Pro Angler
    F
    Yep, that's me. You must have read a Larry Bozka story. Boz is a heck of a guy and a person I am proud to call one of my best friends. Just got off the phone with him earlier today ... talking shop.

Re: J.P. in Saltwater Sportsman magazine? [Re: FFF Staff] #974 02/15/08 12:28 PM
    L
    Larry Bozka Offline
    Green Horn
    Green Horn
    L
    That is indeed J.P. Greeson in all of his angling glory (all kidding aside, J.P. is one hell of a fisherman ... he's been known to teach me a thing or two over the years).

About the piece: It is in the March '08 issue of Salt Water Sportsman, and profiles the process of fishing what we call the "Artificial Tides" of the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway (GIWW). When heavily-laden tug-pushed barges are approaching, they draw a tremendous amount of water off the banks in the process. Accordingly, a lot of forage ... from crabs to finfish ... is pulled off of the banks and over the GIWW ledge.

Collectively, it presents a great near-constant-current scenario in waters that by their manmade nature are as wind-protected as it gets. When it gets tough around my home waters near Galveston Bay, I often grab a batch of Berkley Gulp shrimp and an aerated bucket of inshore-sized Black Salty baitfish and head for The Ditch. Between those two offerings, artificial and natural, I almost invariably come out of the place with some great photos of quality fish ... especially redfish.

Check out that story for more info, and if I can help in any way, feel free to drop an email to me at larry@coastalanglers.com. I haven't tried the artificial tide GIWW rodeo in Florida, but know from talking with the subject of the piece, Capt. James France, that it has really paid off for him and his partner Gene Lessman when they are fishing FLW Redfish tourneys farther west from Alabama to, and through, the Texas Coast.

Also of note in the March issue of Salt Water Sportsman ... a photo of a fellow out of San Diego who, on a long-range trip, took one of three yellowfin tuna (aboard the Intrepid) that weighed in at more than 300 pounds. Buddy, that's a beast.

I reckon it gives J.P. and me a mark to shoot for ... albeit a very large mark ... when we make our long-awaited long-range trip aboard the Freeport, Texas-based Big E this summer. The photo is on page 22; check it out.

That's a whole bunch of primo sushi to pull in with a rod and reel.

Tight lines to all ...

Boz

Larry Bozka
    Coastal Anglers
    Contributing Writer - SaltWater Sportsman
    Contributing Writer - Tide Magazine
    Director of Sales and Marketing
    I.F. Anderson Farms/Black Salty Baitfish
    Re: J.P. in Saltwater Sportsman magazine? [Re: Larry Bozka] #975 02/15/08 12:48 PM
    S
    SteveOnLBI-NJ Offline OP
    Outdoorsman
    OP Offline
    Outdoorsman
    S
    It was an interesting article. Good magazine with some good useful tips, too. My 2nd year subscribing. If you ever get up to the Jersey coast, look me up on Long Beach Island.

Steve On LBI-NJ
    Re: J.P. in Saltwater Sportsman magazine? [Re: SteveOnLBI-NJ] #1000 02/23/08 02:18 AM
    M
    Mike Offline
    Outdoorsman
    Outdoorsman
    M
    Steve, do you fish in in Barnegat bay here in NJ? I live in PA but dock in Toms River area and fish the bay and ocean out of the inlet here. Frequent Sarasota FLA when I head south to fish.

Re: J.P. in Saltwater Sportsman magazine? [Re: Mike] #1005 02/24/08 11:14 AM
    S
    SteveOnLBI-NJ Offline OP
    Outdoorsman
    OP Offline
    Outdoorsman
    S
    Hi Mike,

I'm on the southern portion of LBI and usually fish the south (Little Egg) inlet and bay. But sometimes fish Barnegat Bay and the north (Barnegat) inlet area. And the inshore areas. Have a 20' cc so I don;t venture too far offshore usually.

We've started going to the Keys -- Marathon last Nov and hopefully Easter Week in Islamorada. Great fishing, but tough without my own boat. Did some dock and kayak fishing, will also try the bridges this time. JP had provided a lot of good info to my KEYS thread inquiry back in the fall: "Marathon fishing in November"

Steve On LBI-NJ
    Re: J.P. in Saltwater Sportsman magazine? [Re: SteveOnLBI-NJ] #1026 02/26/08 05:08 PM
    M
    Mike Offline
    Outdoorsman
    Outdoorsman
    M
    I run from Toms River area to BB marker, the channel, and out the inlet along the coast of Island Beach State Park area. I have a 23 ft walk around that gets me offshore a few miles comfortably. I fish in the Gulf out of Sarasota when I'm down and have fished in Key Largo. Heading back down in April and putting a trip together now.

Previous Thread
    Index
    Next Thread

© 2007-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide